Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Freddie Gibbs and Tech N9ne in Los Angeles

Freddie Gibbs and Tech N9ne in Los Angeles: With Some Distractions
by Armando Ortiz


I came across Freddie Gibbs while looking at something related to Madlib. I am not sure what it was but it was a track from their new album Pinata that opened the doors to Gibbs’ other work. I soon found other albums that were pretty good, Cold Day in Hell and ESGN- Evil Seeds Grow Naturally.  I found myself listening to his albums and mix tapes over and over again for the next few weeks. I missed a chance to check him out at the Echoplex where both Madlib and Gibbs would be performing, so when I saw that he would be touring with Tech N9ne's Independent Grind Tour, and that he would be passing through again in June the ticket was bought no questions asked. The day finally arrived and I had arranged with a buddy from work to park my car in a place I thought was safe, but on second thought the area is quite safe and it’s better to just pay for parking.
 
I parked the car in a private residential building thinking it was the most convenient thing to do. The security guard claimed to not know the person who was letting me park inside, but then he remembered that my friend had mentioned to him that a friend would be stopping bye. I parked the car and began to prepare some things. I ended up spending too much time in the car and spilled water and other contents onto my legs and on the floor of the car to make matters worse the security guard came knocked on my window and hurried me up.

After talking on the phone with my brother, I walked to the venue down Holloway, but I saw a 7-11, so after crossing La Cienega Blvd went inside to get some snacks- a Big Bite dog, a bag of kettle chips, and soda water. I walked out and headed to the venue, but at a distance there was a tattoo shop, The Honorable Society, where I once sold art books to its artists and whose owner, Marco Cerretelli, I knew. I once again took a detour and headed towards the shop. After entering, and asking to talk to Marco, I got to see the lay out of the shop which was akin to a Victorian Era living room/ bazaar. He was not there, so small talk with the guy that was working there ensued, but didn’t last more than five minutes.


I stepped out of the shop and continued on my way to the show, crossing the street and climbing Olive Dr., which leads you up a hill and to The House of Blues. But by the time I got there, I’d already spent an hour walking and talking with people. Nearing the venue about 5 guys walked past bye in a row exiting the theater, walking to the parking lot, where after some seconds a fight began. Freddie Gibbs was already half way through his show by the time I was inside, and managed to hear three songs one of which was from his recent collaboration album with Madlib, Pinata. After his performance Tech N9ne began his set. The gathering was amazing, and the fans for Tech N9ne were decked out in red. He definitively has a loyal following and getting to watch him perform was a very unique and memorable experience, though not as long lasting as missing more than half of Freddie Gibbs’ performance.



No comments:

Post a Comment